adventuring :: something new :: week one


Is it just me? Or is it scary as Hades to start something new? Every semester of college and grad school, I would be excited until the day before classes and when it came time to find a parking spot, find the classroom, make notes on the syllabus, and actually get started, I would freak. 

I knew I should be in the classes. I knew it was right for me. I was just scared. Going on first dates is scary. Driving to a new place for the first time [especially if someone is expecting you at a certain time] is scary. Buying a new car [and making new car payments] is scary. 

I very [very] recently started a new job. It's scary. I'm actually responsible for things. If this event doesn't go well or that report doesn't get distributed to the Board, then I am responsible. It scares me to death just a little. But it's time, right?

This is the time for those sorts of adventures. We've been educated. We've moved out on our own. We've had our hearts broken a time or two. And now, we have real responsibilities at work. It's pretty stinking scary.... and it's hard to try something new. Not knowing where the bathroom is or what the office atmosphere is like or when it's okay to take a five minute Facebook/Twitter break. New is scary.

But it's worth it...right?


Everyone has a ‘risk muscle.’ You keep it in shape by trying new things. If you don’t, it atrophies. Make a point of using it at least once a day.
-Roger Von Oech

Happy Adventuring! See you back here next week for Something Scary. Eep!
xo
Sarah :: Your Plucky Picaroon



Sarah :: Plucky in Love

Sarah, aka "Plucky", blogs on the reg, unless she's on vacation or there's a Pretty Little Liars marathon or she's mulling over the implications of the phrase "on fleek." She can't live without iced coffee, a portable phone charger, or equal pay. Say hello!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree, I HATE starting at new jobs, it takes such a long time to adjust, fit in, and learn what is right, wrong, and what you can get away with;)


    It will all be good, and you are awesome for taking such a big risk:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thanks for your comment. It's always good to hear you're not alone. :)

      Delete