Unique first dance songs - seriously!


Hello, world! It's been a longggg time. You'll never guess what's been on my mind in the last few months. Wedding biz!!! Oh wait - I think you knew that.  James and I have been brainstorming our first dance song for about 12 weeks. I have lots of ideas and James has lots of opportunities to shoot me down. While searching for some less-cheesy, under-played options, I kept discovering lists of "unique first dance songs" that were the exact. same. lists. So I figured, why not? I put together a list of first dance songs that I didn't see on anyone else's list (though I'm pretty sure they've all been crossed off our list of possibilities as well. Thanks, James.).


1. "Hannah Hunt" by Vampire Weekend


2. "Feels like Home" by Chantel Kreviazuk
(College-me swoons every time )


3. "Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova


4. "You Belong to Me" by Patsy Cline


5. "Rivers and Roads" by The Head and The Heart
(I'd maybe crop this one to only include the lyrical parts that are more upbeat - like the chorus!)


6. "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson



All this is to say, we still haven't picked a song! What was your first dance song?? What songs have you heard and loved?! Recommendations are super welcome. ♥


Sarah :: Plucky in Love

Sarah, aka "Plucky", blogs on the reg, unless she's on vacation or there's a Pretty Little Liars marathon or she's mulling over the implications of the phrase "on fleek." She can't live without iced coffee, a portable phone charger, or equal pay. Say hello!

5 comments:

  1. #5 and #6!!! YAS!!!! Also, idk #3 but I'm pretty sure I watched the first half of the movie about his music. Figures ;) What an exciting dilemma. That'll probably be THE hardest part of planning my wedding some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music was such a struggle for my husband and I because of our different tastes! We settled on "Last night on Earth" by Green Day. Not a lot of people knew it but they recognized Green Day so it was a hit! I've heard a few different songs in my wedding days...Lumineer's "Ho Hey"...Ed Sheeran, "We Found Love"! =) Best wishes on picking yours!

    Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I chose "You are the Best Thing" by Ray Lamontagne. We knew it was overplayed, but the words were just SO PERFECT that we couldn't resist. Plus, it's upbeat (which held people's attention more) and who doesn't love that amazing, soulful voice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad he's nixed them because Hannah Hunt is definitely awesome and so fits the bill for unique. I'm not married. Never have been. But when I was planning my wedding (way back in 2005 when I was still engaged) I had a list of songs that I thought were contenders. We eventually chose Ain't That A Kick In The Head by Dean Martin because we were both Italian and loved Dean. But a couple others on our list (keep in mind this is slightly dated) were: You & Me Song by The Wannadies, Naked As We Came by Iron & Wine, Lost on the Moon by Duncan Sheik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We soent a few days with our top 3 (Fly Me To The Moon- Frank Sinatra, Beast of Burden- Rolling Stones, or When I Get My Hands on You- The Lost Basement Tapes. Finally we chose When I get My Hands on You by The Lost Basement Tapes. Its simple but not too long, and the words are perfect.

    ReplyDelete