There are no shortcuts to any place worth going (even Rhode Island).



Getting a dog is probably one of the smartest decisions I've ever made as a 20-something. Sure, they're expensive and messy and a lot of responsibility. But they're also snuggly and warm and soft and sweet and smart enough to show off tricks at parties. We got Daisy on Valentine's Day of 2014. She wasn't like a cutesy V-day gift or anything. We visited, we saw, we fell in love, we moved money around in our bank accounts to afford her, we brought her home.

She was just a little thing back then. All paws and fluff. Everyone assured us her hair would change, that she'd lose that adorably shaggy puppy coat, and we'd have all the curls we saw on most Goldendoodles. Alas! The word on the street is 1st generation goldendoodles are kind of all over the place in terms of hair texture, body shape, shedding/not shedding. It's when you take an F1 (like Daisy) with a poodle as her baby daddy that you could ensure more of the curls, the lack of shedding, etc. i.e. 2/3 poodle, 1/3 golden.

All of this is Greek to me. I just love the sassy little nugget.

But in 10 days, this little love fest gets put to a REAL test. I am SO EXCITED to spend a long weekend in Rhode Island, soaking in all the New England-iness. I am not as excited about the 13 hour road trip, particularly since Daisy will be riding shotgun. She travels very well on 3 hour trips, so I'm hopeful! But 13 hours is a long time in the car for anybody. Fingers crossed - here's hoping...

Have you travelled a significant distance with a dog in the car? How did it go? Any tips?!




PS. VERY EXCITING NEWS! Be one of the first to sign up for my brand-spankin-new Weekly Digest for all things Plucky! Which, of course, means details on free stuff and/or how to get free stuff (because I'm cheap). Count you in?!

Sarah :: Plucky in Love

Sarah, aka "Plucky", blogs on the reg, unless she's on vacation or there's a Pretty Little Liars marathon or she's mulling over the implications of the phrase "on fleek." She can't live without iced coffee, a portable phone charger, or equal pay. Say hello!

10 comments:

  1. We used to drive with my old dog, Heidi, to Ohio & back every year... an 18 hour car ride both ways. The only way she would travel was giving her something that the vet prescribed to make her sleepy haha. Our new dog, Murphy, though is actually a really good traveler. We haven't taken him anywhere farther than a 5 hour trip, but he's just a puppy still & did really good! Hopefully your trip will go well. I've heard goldendoodles are such great dogs (& they're stinkin' cute)! And congrats on your new weekly digest! You can count me in! :)

    Sarah
    cunninghamlovestory.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following, lady!!! ♥ It gives me hope that 5 hours has been doable! Aren't puppies the best, though? :)

      Delete
  2. The key will be breaks... like stop & do some good running around. It'll be good for both of you to stretch those legs every hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call! I'm betting we'll all travel better if we stop every couple of hours and stretch our legs.

      Delete
  3. haha I hope it goes well. You are a brave one. I have never done it. That said, my parents just moved from KS to Phoenix over the summer. The took a uhaul, a car, my 8 year old sister, a dog, a cat, and fish. And they all survived. :) I'm sure you'll be ok! :) Have funn! XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be done, then!! A fish?! Surely my dog will be okay. haha

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dog:) I used to have one I loved too, and occasionally I did take him on road trips. I think the longest was about a 6 hour. The key was taking breaks and on those breaks taking him out and letting him run around a little, I think we stopped about every 2 hours and I let him run around for 10 minutes. He did pretty good, I probably could have driven the whole way without giving him a break, but I just didn't want to chance any bathroom accidents:)
    Have fun on your trip. New England in the fall is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait!! And that's definitely sounding like a sound plan. ♥ Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. I brought Kobi along with me to Manila, but the poor pup was in a crate flying across the world so I didn't get to see him until I got here.

    BUT, frozen peanut butter in a Kong is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen peanut butter in a Kong is DEFINITELY going to happen. ♥ Thanks, dude.

      Delete