Do What You Do Do Well

As I'm sure you've noticed, I have lots of interests.
When I graduate in December, I will have degrees in History, Event Planning, and Philanthropic Studies
I enjoy crafting, whether that involves making things for other people or teaching them how to do it for themselves. 
I love writing, obviously. Topics might be things I'm knowledgeable about, things I am confused about, just for fun, or serious stuff. 
I'm beginning to enjoy [gasp!] running. 
I psychoanalyze ev.er.y.thing. A few well-meaning friends have suggested I might enjoy counseling
Speaking of being a counselor, people have been recommending me to Law School since 2nd grade. 
I want to travel
I want to be a professor. 
I want to run a nonprofit.
I want to work with kids. 

I want to stay at home and raise my babies

I want to write for a living. 
I want to work with my hands.
I want to include lots of different people on projects so that we can enjoy each other's company while we get the job done. 
I want to be independent
I fear a career, concerned that I could never be content doing the same job every day for 30 years. 
Yet, I crave stability.
I am, as they say, a hot mess. 
My plans for the future change on a minute-to-minute basis. I enjoy doing so many different things, and am fairly decent at a few of them, and I just have no idea which way is up most of the time.
The theme, though, through all of this is...

I want to make a difference.


I like sharing information or teaching people how to crochet or recommending a good book because it makes a difference. Working with nonprofits and kids, you can see immediately the impact your efforts have on a community or in individuals' lives.

I am so unconcerned with acquiring wealth and getting
stuff that it is laughable. I was raised on nothing, so I'm not worried about having nothing. 
Actually, I take it back. I was raised without a bunch of stuff, but we had plenty to go around: love. merriment. exploration. good food. good books. building forts or your own board game or a DIY wardrobe. 

We had
a lot, now that I think about it, and I'm a bit sad for those who have always had stuff because I feel like you're missing out.
Anyway, enough of a tirade.
All this is to say that I am topsy-turvy about a life plan right now. 
Fortunately, it's not because I hate my options 
but because there are so-freaking-many that my head is spinning. 
My foundation, though, the compass that guides these decisions 
(and the reason know it will all work out) 
is that I will be chasing that dream of making a difference


ps. This is kind of an adorable bracelet and 
I may have to splurge on one at some point.

I know it is more traditional to "give up" something during Lent. I guess you could say I'll be "giving up" reality for just a little bit. The next 40 days (and posts) are dedicated to dreams. So we're giving up limitations, fear, uncertainty.... and allowing ourselves to dream no matter how wild or crazy or out-of-this-world that dream might be! 
40 Days of Dreams 




Sarah :: Plucky in Love

Sarah, aka "Plucky", blogs on the reg, unless she's on vacation or there's a Pretty Little Liars marathon or she's mulling over the implications of the phrase "on fleek." She can't live without iced coffee, a portable phone charger, or equal pay. Say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment