Not a Hoax, Folks

I have a confession. I kind of, sort of, half-believe in ghosts. [hangs head in shame]
Please don't quiz me on this belief. It is not based on anything rational, experienced, or legitimate, but it is there..... and I really want to do a Ghost Hunters tour.
I grew up near Story, Indiana, which is notorious for its
stories, like the Blue Lady at the Inn. The website explains,

"The second floor of the Old General Store (briefly a Studebaker buggy factory in the 1920's) has been renovated into four quaint bed & breakfast accommodations notable for their year-round occupant, the "Blue Lady." The Blue Lady is a mirthful albeit innocuous apparition with flowing white robes, whose cheeky behavior has been observed by Story Inn employees and recorded in guest books since the 1970s."

Then, I watched the classic Don Knotts film The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. I freaked out the entire time. I do not think that is what the film makers had in mind, but... as I've said time and again, I believed.

In high school, my best friends moved into a quaint, country home when their dad remarried. We spent that summer researching the murder/suicide/house fire that took place there decades earlier. Although the original structure was destroyed in the fire, the basement was still intact and there were clear lines in the cement where bodies were dug up from the rubble. There's a grave marked off of Owl Creek Rd with three names, but only 2 bodies in it. As far as we could tell, they never really discovered what happened that day. A tall wooden fence blocks the house from view of the road. Apparently, it was installed because people kept driving past and stopping, saying they saw a man out on the front porch in a rocking chair.... the man who died in the fire.

brrrr. I have the heeby jeebies just thinking about it.

And now, 
I work in a house museum where at least 5 people died.

I have never believed in it all one hundred percent, but I have enough doubt to remain unconvinced that there aren't any ghosts out there. And when The History Channel or SyFy has a haunted marathon, I am glued to the tv set [which I do not qualify as trash tv, and so stand by my statement from yesterday's post].

....and I really want to do a ghost hunting expedition some day. Just typing that sentence caused a shiver to go up my spine. It really, really freaks me out. But I love it. I am captivated and creeped out, all at once. Just have to remember to keep batteries in that flashlight and run like you-know-what if I lose cellular reception.

I know it is more traditional to "give up" something during Lent. I guess you could say I'll be "giving up" reality for just a little bit. The next 40 days (and posts) are dedicated to dreams. So we're giving up limitations, fear, uncertainty.... and allowing ourselves to dream no matter how wild or crazy or out-of-this-world that dream might be! 
40 Days of Dreams 



Sarah :: Plucky in Love

Sarah, aka "Plucky", blogs on the reg, unless she's on vacation or there's a Pretty Little Liars marathon or she's mulling over the implications of the phrase "on fleek." She can't live without iced coffee, a portable phone charger, or equal pay. Say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment