I Will [gladly] Show You the Way



I have joked about this on and off, but I'm beginning to think I really may have a lucrative career opportunity here. I dream of living in a society where guys act like gentlemen and know how to date.
I've discussed creating workshops to teach men a few very simple rules of conduct when it comes to ladies. The basics, if you will.

#1. Call her when you ask her out. 
This is not a tough one. Sure, you can ask her via text message or on Facebook. Any guy can do that. But a guy who calls? It's so unexpected, and in my experience anyway, gives you a gold star on your performance chart as a potentially dateable male. It shows me that you are confident, that you are willing to take a risk to hang out with me (because I could say no and you might have to hear that in person, you know. eek), and you probably have some concept of how to treat a girl right. I don't know if that last one is logical, but I'm a girl and it makes sense to me.

#2. Pay for her meal and/or her ticket.
I know there is a lot of hoopla about being politically correct and respecting a woman's independence and not pigeon-holing her as helpless, but offer and (mostly) insist on paying for the first date. Maybe this isn't true for all women, and if a girl is dead-set on buying her own food or entry, she will ( so don't worry). Don't be obnoxious about paying, but (especially if you invited her out) offer to pay. It's a respect thing, a dating ritual, a biological-instinctual-he's-a-provider necessity that we can't seem to help but find attractive.
Also know that if I invite you to do something, I plan to pay for myself. Unless I offer up front, you'll be responsible for your own ticket, but I won't ask you to do something and expect you to pay my way. And I will buy on your birthday. See? It's a two-way street.

#3. Have a job and your own place.
This one may be a little tough in our economy right now. I understand that. I also know, however, that I have a job and my own place, and that it can be done. This one counts for a lot of things. It shows that you are reasonably responsible, have the means to date me (so we can actually go places and do things other than watch movies on the couch), and are trying to make your own way in the world. Age-appropriate roommates are expected, but living at home is a big turn-off. Does that mean we will only be hanging out at my place? All the time? That I will be the one responsible for feeding us, cleaning up after us, providing entertainment, and otherwise inviting you as a constant presence into my own private little sanctuary? Think again. 

As far as I can tell, no single one of these things is 
generally a deal breaker in its own right. But the combination sure moves you down that dateable list in a hurry. I could go on and on about this topic (which I do), but that's enough for one day. Just the basics.
I really think I could have a future as the next Hitch or something. I may be clueless about relationships and commitment, but I'm pretty sure I've got the first-date basics covered.
Do you agree, dear readers? Why or why not?


I know it is more traditional to "give up" something during Lent. I guess you could say I'll be "giving up" reality for just a little bit. The next 40 days (and posts) are dedicated to dreams. So we're giving up limitations, fear, uncertainty.... and allowing ourselves to dream no matter how wild or crazy or out-of-this-world that dream might be! 
40 Days of Dreams 

Day 20: Learn a new language.
Day 21: Make a difference.
Day 22: Trace my ancestry.
Day 23: Go Greek.
Day 24: Discover something.
Day 25: Visit Ireland.
Day 26: Throw a singles party.
Day 27: Go ghost hunting.
Day 28: Learn to ballroom dance.
Day 29: Get a professional massage.
Day 30: Go back in time.
Day 31: Satisfy my sweet tooth.
Day 32: Take a cruise.
Day 33: Conduct an interview.
Day 34: Attend an awards show.
Day 35: Finish school (for a while).
Day 36: Teach boys a lesson.

Sarah :: Plucky in Love

Sarah, aka "Plucky", blogs on the reg, unless she's on vacation or there's a Pretty Little Liars marathon or she's mulling over the implications of the phrase "on fleek." She can't live without iced coffee, a portable phone charger, or equal pay. Say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment